Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Designers Block

...I need some inspiration!!!

So, lately I've found myself totally uninspired. I don't have any new, fresh ideas floating around in my head. Normally this is ok, but I need some inspiration right about....ahhhh...NOW!! I've been pretty busy at my job and I've had a chance to do a couple of freelance jobs at home. But in the midst of all of that, I dont feel like I'm getting any new ideas or fresh perspective. So, I've decided to make a list of things that might help inspire, motivate, or otherwise push me towards greatness and total world domination....or at least some new design ideas.

1. DRUGS!?
2. Do the polar plunge, nothing inspires change like getting in a pair of swimming trunks and jumping in a freezing lake.
3. Yoga; for the longest time I thought that this was simply a cartoon bear that stole "picanic baskets"!!
4. Stare at the ceiling with my mouth half open....oh wait, thats what I'm doing now.
5. DRUGS!?
6. Become "at one" with nature. I cant help but think that hugging a tree could do wonders for self introspection.
7. Chain myself to my chair until something FANfreakinTASTIC happens.
8. Go check out the magazines at Borders. I did this once while I was still in school, I fell asleep. I recieved absolutely NO inspiration....but I wasnt nearly as crabby when I finally woke up.
9. Take a trip. (see 's 1 and 5)
10. Beg and plead for any advice from YOU.

So, there ya have it. I'm all dried up on the inspiration and motivation front. If you can think of anything else that I should add to my list, let me know. I'll compile a new list with your ideas and we'll sell them to that "7 habits" guy and we'll be rich.

1 comment:

Sterling said...

I have heard that exercise sparks creativity and that Einstein would go for a bike ride to dislodge a creative jam up. I have found that while exercising my brain becomes very creative. It seems to be thinking overtime of ways to get out of exercising, creating phantom pains, and conjuring up millions of other "better" activities that require less sweating.
Another good method to enhance creativity... copy, copy copy. Find something you like and then reverse it for your application. I couldn't think of a book to write. With a bit of creative enginuity I conjured up little something I call "Ring of the Lords" About a giant with tiny feet who must rescue a ring from a volcano before Lord Moldevort corrupts a wizard I am calling Perry Hotter. Meanwhile the regular citizens of the world are being watched and controlled by mysterious government agency called
"little sister".
And finally... ask your family what they would do. I might say to my family: "I am creating a brochure for the zoo, give me some ideas!" I find that I love the results if I do (much to mandy's disgust) opposite of whatever Mandy suggests, because she might suggest something like "I would put a bow on it and cover it with pictures of clouds!" Then I say to myself "Awesome! I will cover it pictures of dirt and not put a bow on it! SWEET!" The kids' ideas are so outlandish they work wonderfully. They usually say something like "I would print it on paper made of elephant poop! and make the handwriting look like it was written by a monkey!" That is when I stab a pointer finger as high as I can into the air and shout "Eureka! Poop paper and monkey font! Genius!"